District 8 Apartments
Before starting this review, I should make clear that I call District 8 Apartments the luxury residential towers Eternity and Infinity in SBCD. The District 8 complex has more residential buildings, including Residence 8 and Langham, but I will review them separately.
The District 8 Apartments were delivered in 2018 and they are considered among the best in the city. Developed by the group Agung Sedayu, they consist of two twin towers of 205 meters and 51 floors each (Eternity and Infinity) with top-notch facilities (indoor and outdoor pool, sauna, jacuzzi, hammam, cinema, library, huge gym, etc).
I didn’t stay there but I visited it with an agent. Here’s what I think about it:
- 1 Location:
- 2 Building Quality
- 3 Comfort
- 4 Management
- 5 Rooms and Prices
- 6 Investment Potential
- 7 Address
- 8 More Photos
- 9 My Ratings
In which neighborhood of Jakarta is the complex located?
District 8 is located in South Jakarta between SCBD (Sudirman Central Business District) and Jalan Senopati (a famous street for restaurants and clubs).
SCBD is a mixed-used land that is owned by the group Artha Graha (Tomy Winata). It features a mall (Pacific Place), several hotels (Ritz-Carlton, Alila), office buildings (District 8, Equity Tower, The Energy Building, Jakarta Stock Exchange, etc), residential towers (SCBD Suites, Capital Residence, Kusuma Chandra, etc) and much more (shops, nightclubs, spas, restaurants, karaokes, etc).
It is an ideal location for executives who have their offices in the golden triangle of Jakarta. From there, you can reach anywhere on Jalan Sudirman, Jalan Thamrin, Jalan Gatot Subroto or Jalan Rasuna Said in less than 20 minutes.
By car, with normal traffic conditions, how far is it from:
– Jakarta Airport (CGK): 50 minutes
– Grand Indonesia Mall: 20 minutes
– Sudirman Business District: 0 minutes
– Kota Tua: 70 minutes
– Kemang: 35 minutes
District 8 is less than 10 minutes away from the Semanggi Interchange which is quite strategic. The traffic in SCBD is reasonable, but it can be very slow on Jalan Senopati after office hours.
How does it look like around the apartment?
You can access District 8 from two sides: Jalan Senopati or SCBD.
Jalan Senopati is a two-way street that is famous for having many trendy restaurants and clubs. It’s a big advantage to stay near there if you plan on going out a lot while in Jakarta. Even though it’s a super expensive and posh neighborhood, the sidewalk condition is poor and it’s not really possible to walk around.
The exit on SCBD is better. The streets of this area are large and the traffic is usually reasonable. You can walk from one place to another easily, in particular, if you need to go to the mall, to offices, to the supermarket or to restaurants.
What are the important landmarks nearby?
Nearby, there are a few landmarks you can go to:
5 minutes away by foot: Mall Pacific Place. It is a medium-sized luxury mall with a Galerie Lafayette department store, a cinema, a supermarket, a gym, a Kidzania, plenty of restaurants and high-end shops.
There is a Grand Lucky supermarket in SCBD, just 2 minutes from District 8. It is one of the most complete in Jakarta for expats as it has many imported products. Alternatively, you can also go to Kem Chicks in Pacific Place (also with many imported products) or to the smaller Jason’s in Residence 8.
Restaurants and Nightlife:
SCBD and Senopati are among the best locations in Jakarta for eating out and partying. You will have plenty of options, such as Potato Head, Lucy in the Sky, Cork & Screw, Paul, etc.
Two expensive private universities have a campus nearby: Binus and Pelita Harapan.
There are no international schools but Al Alzhar and SMA 82 are reputed among Indonesians.
There is an Apple Tree preschool on Jalan Senopati, just across the street from District 8.
Siloam Semanggi, just 10 minutes away by car, is recommended.
You can reach Gelora Bung Karno Stadium in about 15 minutes by foot. It is suitable for running or walking.
Is there a Transjakarta bus stop nearby?
Not really, you’ll need around 15 minutes walking to reach the first bus stops (Tirtayasa or Bunderan Senayan).
Is there a train station nearby?
How about the MRT (Mass Rapid Transit) or LRT (Light Rail Transit)?
The nearest stop will be in Bunderan Senayan, around 15 minutes away.
Building and Architecture
What is the reputation of the developer?
District 8 was developed by the group Agung Sedayu, whose reputation is fairly good in the mid-to-upper segment. It is a large conglomerate that has built mostly townships (Bukit Golf Mediterania, Grand Galaxy City, Green Mansion, etc) and high-rise apartments (The Mansion at Kemang, The Mansion @ Kemayoran, Menteng Park, and many more).
Who is the architect?
The master plan was drawn by the Toronto-based firm Forrec (also behind Universal Studios Orlando). The towers were designed by the Indonesian architect firm Airmas Asri which has already worked on several high-end projects like Pakubuwono Signature, Pakubuwono View and the Capital Building.
What is the situation with the land certificate?
The developer has a Hak Guna Bangunan Murni, which means the property was built on its own land. As an apartment owner, you get a Strata Title di atas HGB Murni.
Design and Appearance
How does the building look like?
From Outside (Facade):
Landscaping and Public Areas:
How spacious are the apartments?
The apartments’ size is the following:
– 1-bedroom units = 70m2 (1 bathroom)
– 1-bedroom units with maid room = 105m2 (2 bathrooms)
– 2-bedroom units = 155m2 (2 bathrooms, maid room, private lift)
– 3-bedroom units = 179m2 to 228m2 (3 bathrooms, maid room, private lift)
– 4-bedroom units = 249m2 (4 bathrooms, maid room, private lift)
Each unit has a balcony.
Materials, Equipment, and Finishes
What is the quality of the materials, furniture, and equipment used in the construction?
This is an evaluation of the quality I observed (ranked from 1 – worst – to 10 – best):
Tiles Lobby: 8
Tiles Corridors: 6-8
Tiles Apartment: 7
Gym equipment: 9
Pool equipment: 7
Overall Quality: 8/10
What is the quality of the finishes?
Facilities and Services
What are the facilities provided in the property?
– Swimming pool: There are 2 of them, one indoor and one outdoor. Both are very long and perfect for swimmers. There is also a smaller one for children, a jacuzzi, a sauna and a steam room.
– Gym: It is huge, with many professional machines, but maybe not enough free weights.
– Aerobic Room (not pictured here), Yoga and Pilate Room
– Tennis Court:
– Indoor kitchen and barbecue:
There are more facilities that I didn’t take photos of: Library, meeting room, theater, spa, club house.
What are the services available within the property?
At the moment, there are not many services available yet. Soon, there should be a convenience store, an ATM, a laundry and restaurants.
Are there issues with the electricity supply?
No, the limitations are the following:
– 1-bedroom units = 3300 VA
– 2-bedroom units = 4400 VA
– 3-bedroom units = 5500 VA
Are their issues with parking?
No, each tenant gets a parking space.
Are there enough lifts?
Is the property busy?
At the moment, it is still quiet. However, I talked to many agents who told me that it was filling up quickly. In a couple of years, it will certainly be full.
Is it noisy?
I didn’t find the property noisy when I visited, but two people left comments (in the rating section below) to complain about it. It seems that you can hear music from the bars and nightclubs in SCBD, and that the windows are not soundproof.
What is the background (ethnicity, social status) and attitude of residents?
Upper-class Indonesians (including Indonesian Chinese) and expats.
How old is the property?
It was completed in 2018.
Are there visible damages?
I found the property to be clean.
The garden is well-maintained.
– Guards on duty at the gates and reception: 24/7
– CCTV cameras: Many in the lobby and the lift.
– Access: You need an access card and your fingerprint to enter the lift area and to reach your floor.
The staff is friendly and professional.
Rooms and Prices
Prices at District 8 may vary depending on many factors such as the floor, the unit type, the room condition and the furnishings. Some units also have a private lift.
Be aware that you may also need to pay for additional fees: Service charge, parking fee, electricity and water bills, etc. Here are a few examples of prices and ratios for this property:
1-Bedroom (70m2) – Well-furnished:
- Rental 1 Year: Approximately IDR 264 million (or 22 million per month)
- Service charge: IDR 4,620,000 per month (IDR 66,000/m2/month)
- Buy: Approximately IDR 3,800,000,000
- Break Even Point (Buying Price/Gross Annual Rental): 14.4 years
- Average buying price/m2: IDR 54 million/m2
2-Bedroom Type (153m2) – Well-furnished:
- Rental 1 Year: Approximately IDR 384 million (or 32 million per month)
- Service charge: IDR 10,100,000 per month (IDR 66,000/m2/month)
- Buy: Approximately IDR 7.000,000,000
- Break Even Point (Buying Price/Gross Annual Rental): 18.2 years
- Average buying price/m2: IDR 45.75 million/m2
Which units are the best?
I really liked the units with a view on SCBD and the skyline of Sudirman. They are the ones facing the north.
Is there a potential for a price increase in the future?
A normal price increase would be around 5% per year. Here are some of the factors that may affect this rate:
– Factors pushing the prices up:
- The completion of the District 8 project in the next few years (more offices, more restaurants, less construction work) will make the area even more attractive.
– Factors pushing the prices down:
- There is still plenty of empty land in this area and it is likely that more luxury residential towers will be built, thus competing with District 8.
- Foreign ownership of luxury apartments is still difficult in Indonesia.
Overall evaluation of the price: Would I buy here?
I feel that the buying price is reasonable considering the location and the quality of the building. My main worry is with the service charge which is quite high. Most tenants expect the service charge to be paid by the owner so it can seriously impact the profitability.
District 8 Apartments
@ Lot 28 SCBD
Jalan Senopati Raya, Kebayoran Baru, South Jakarta
Phone number: +62-21 724 8800
Website: District 8
I do my best to write honest and detailed reviews of the apartments I visit. If you disagree with my rating, please let me know why and leave your own rating at the end of this page.
- Superb facilities, with 2 large swimming pools and an excellent gym
- Two exits: Jalan Senopati and SCBD.
- Fantastic view of the skyline from high floor apartments
- High-quality materials and construction -
- Small garden area
- Limited facilities for children
- Business vibe
Be the first to leave a review.