Green Bay Pluit Apartments
Within the superblock, there are three different apartment complexes:
- Coastview Apartment (or Phase I) was the first one to be developed, with a completion date in 2012. It consists of 4 towers of 33 floors (A, B, C, D), for a total of 3,600 units. The price is affordable and it targets the middle class.
- Bayview Apartment (or Phase II) was completed the same year. It also has 4 towers of 33 floors (E, F, G, H), but fewer units (3,000 in total). It is slightly better than Coastview Apartment, mainly because it is further away from the Muara Karang power plant (see below for more details). It has its own garden and pool.
- Seaview Condominium (or Phase III) is a more expensive complex that was completed in 2015. It has 4 towers of 46 floors (J, K, L, M), for a total of 2,000 units.
In this article, I will focus on Coastview Apartments and Bayview Apartment only. I wrote a separate review of Seaview Condominium as well that you can read here: Seaview Condominium Pluit.
- 1 Location:
- 2 Building Quality
- 3 Comfort
- 4 Management
- 5 Rooms and Prices
- 6 Investment Potential
- 7 Address
- 8 More Photos
- 9 My Ratings
Neighborhood and Transportation
In which neighborhood of Jakarta is Green Bay Pluit Apartments located?
Green Bay Pluit Apartments is located in North Jakarta, in the district of Pluit and in the subdistrict of Penjaringan. It is an upmarket neighborhood, with a large Indonesian Chinese population. This is a recent evolution since just a few decades ago, it was an inhospitable area with a mangrove, swamps, and slums. Those were razed and replaced by modern villas, organized following a grid pattern. There aren’t too many high-rise buildings in Pluit, except in the Green Bay superblock.
Something to be aware of when living in Pluit is that the area is sinking and prone to flooding. According to this article by the Jakarta Post, it has sunk by 4 meters between 1925 and 2015. As more water is tapped from underground reservoirs, this trend is likely to worsen in the next few years if nothing is done to prevent it.
According to the developer, there is not flooding in Green Bay, but still, you may get some elsewhere in Pluit.
How does it look like around the apartment?
The surroundings of Green Bay Pluit are rather boring. There is nowhere to go by foot outside of the perimeter of the superblock. However, by car, you can reach a few nice places (see Landmarks Nearby below).
On the eastern side of the property, you have a massive power plant that is a real eye sore. Naturally, the towers that are located the closest from it are the least expensive:
By car, with normal traffic conditions, how far is it from:
– Jakarta Airport (CGK): 35 minutes
– Grand Indonesia Mall: 45 minutes
– Sudirman Business District: 50 minutes
– Kota Tua: 20 minutes
– Kemang: 60 minutes
Public transportation and access to highways:
– Nearest Transjakarta halt: Baywalk Mall (300 meters away)
– Nearest MRT station: None nearby
– Nearest train station: Kota (20 minutes away)
– Nearest toll road: Jakarta Inner Ring Road (4 km)
What are the important landmarks nearby?
Nearby, there are a few landmarks you can go to:
Baywalk is part of the Green Bay superblock, and you can reach it in less than 3 minutes by foot.
It is a midrange mall with about 100 shops, including Ace Hardware, Matahari, Gramedia, and an XXI cinema. It has a nice waterfront area where you can walk and relax. Some restaurants also have a good view of the sea.
By car, you can also reach a few other malls nearby such as Pluit Village (2 km – free shuttle from Baywalk Mall), Emporium Pluit (4 km), Pluit Junction (4 km) and PIK Avenue (7 km).
Farmer’s Market (good quality and many imported products) has a branch within Baywalk Mall.
Restaurants and Nightlife:
There are many cheap canteens on the ground level of Green Bay Apartments. Most often, they serve Indonesian or Chinese food. Alcohol is sometimes available and you may see groups of friends hanging out until late in the evening.
If you go to Baywalk Mall, you have a larger choice of restaurants, including some famous ones like Bandar Djakarta, Bebek Tepi Sawah, The Duck King, Paradise Dynasty, etc.
If you want to party, I recommend you to go to Pantai Indah Kapuk in the streets near PIK Avenue Mall.
– Universities: Atma Jaya University Kampus 2 (Medicine), Bunda Mulia University
– Schools: Several reputed ones such as Bina Tunas Bangsa, SMAK 6 Penabur, Pelita Harapan (until Grade 8), Singapore School or High Scope.
– Preschool: Litte Jack Gym (inside Baywalk), Apple Tree, Saint Angela, Kinderland, Raffles House, Lollypop.
For minor issues, you have a small clinic (Pusat Kesehatan) within Green Bay Apartments.
There is a small, yet decent park within Baywalk mall (called Botanical Park):
Building and Architecture
Who is the developer?
The Green Bay superblock was built by Agung Podomoro Land, the largest apartment developer in Indonesia. It is behind many famous midrange properties such as Mediterania Apartments, Metro Park, Thamrin Residences, Sudirman Park, Kalibata City, etc. They are also present in the luxury market with the brand Pakubuwono.
Overall, it has a fairly good reputation, though each property is managed differently: Some are very well-maintained, while others are in poor condition.
Also, the company has been criticized for infiltrating the tenant’s association (PPPSRS) in order to manage their properties more freely (and increase the amount of the service charge without opposition).
Who is the architect?
The main architect was Airmas Asri, an Indonesian firm that has worked on several high-end projects like Pakubuwono Signature, Pakubuwono View, District 8 and the Capital Building.
The Singaporean firm DP Architects (Senayan City, Central Park Jakarta, Kemang Village, LaVie Kuningan) and the Bennitt Design Group (USA) were also involved in the general design of the Green Bay superblock.
Who is the contractor?
The contractor was Total Bangun Persada, a reputed Indonesian company that has undertaken hundreds of large projects such as Pondok Indah Residences, Kemang Village, The Peak Sudirman, Verde One, the Pakubuwono Residence, Mediterania Garden Residences, etc.
What is the situation with the land certificate?
The developer has a Hak Guna Bangunan Murni, which means the property was built on its own land. As an apartment owner, you get a “Strata Title di atas HGB Murni”.
Design and Appearance
How does the building look like?
From Outside (Facade):
The towers do not look particularly pretty. They are basic concrete structures that were designed to be as affordable as possible.
Entrance and Lobby:
Each tower has its own lobby and reception:
Garden and landscaping:
There is a rather spacious garden, with a swimming pool, in both complexes. The design is slightly different in each.
Corridors and lifts:
Size and Types of Apartments
The apartments are rather compact, in line with the standards of a budget property:
Studio units (1 bathroom): 21m2
2-bedroom units (1 bathroom): 37-42 m2
3-bedroom units (1 bathroom): 49 m2
Materials and Equipment
What is the quality of the materials, furniture, and equipment used in the construction?
This is an evaluation of the quality I observed (ranked from 1 – worst – to 10 – best):
In common areas:
Tiles lobby: 4
Tiles corridors: 3
Painting (wall, ceiling): 5
Lighting fixtures: 4
Gym equipment: 4.5
Pool equipment: 5.5
In the apartments:
Bathroom equipment: 4
Kitchen equipment: 3.5
Overall Quality: 4.5/10
Facilities and Services
What are the facilities provided in the property?
– Swimming pool: Both Coastview and Bayview have a swimming pool for adults and a small basin for kids. The size is long enough for swimmers. That said, the area can get pretty crowded after work or on weekends.
– Gym: It is very basic with just a few machines (1 bench, 1 bike, 1 elliptical bike, 1 treadmill) and no mattresses.
– Other facilities/services:
– Facilities/services not pictured here:
There are many shops, restaurants and services available near Green Bay: ATM, property agents, laundry, canteen, bars, minimarkets, banks, salons, spas, etc. You can also go to the mall Baywalk from 10 AM to 10 PM.
Are there issues with the electricity supply?
Some of the smaller apartments may have a limit of 1,300 VA. That’s only enough for 1 AC and a couple of appliances.
Are there issues with parking?
As many budget apartments in Jakarta, car parking can be an issue if you don’t have your own space. If you don’t have one, you may need to circle around to find a spot, or to park at the mall (expensive).
Are there enough lifts?
The lifts were a bit slow, especially in the evenings as some of them are shut down to save energy.
Is the property busy?
Yes. It is one of the busiest apartment complexes in Jakarta. Over 20,000 people are living in one of the 12 towers of the Green Bay superblock.
Is it noisy?
I didn’t think it was noisy, but it probably depends on which towers you live in. If you are in tower A or B, you may hear sounds coming from the power plant, whereas in tower E and F, you may hear (and smell) the local fishermen’s boats.
What is the background of residents?
The residents are 80% Indonesian Chinese. The rest is Indonesian (Pribumi) with a few expats as well. I met a few teachers working in some English schools in North Jakarta.
Even though there are a few issues (scratched paint, noise from the pipes, broken elevator, etc), I found the maintenance in Green Bay Apartments to be satisfactory.
Overall maintenance rating: 7/10
The cleanliness was ok.
Overall cleanliness rating: 7/10
The garden was well-maintained.
Overall gardening rating: 7.5/10
– Guards: There are receptionists/guards at the lobby of each tower. That said, it is such an enormous complex that it is rather easy for anyone to enter without an access card.
– Access: In the lift, you need an access card to reach your floor.
Overall security rating: 6.5/10
Overall hospitality rating: 7/10
Rooms and Prices
Prices at Green Bay Apartment may vary depending on many factors such as the floor, the unit type, the room condition and the furnishings.
Be aware that you may also need to pay for additional fees: Service charge (IPL), parking fee, electricity and water bills, etc.
Here are a few examples of prices and ratios for this property:
Studio (21m2) – Furnished:
- Rental 1 Year: Approximately IDR 24 million (or IDR 2 million per month)
- Buy: Approximately IDR 300,000,000
- Break Even Point (Buying Price/Gross Annual Rental): 12.5 years
- Average buying price/m2: IDR 14.3 million/m2
Reasons to buy:
→ Affordable investment with a limited risk
→ Famous and popular property
Reasons NOT to buy:
→ Very low rent
→ Sinking area with frequent flooding
Would I buy this property? (On a scale from 0 = “not at all” to 10 = “yes absolutely” ):
Green Bay Pluit Apartments
Jalan Pluit Karang Ayu Barat No. B1,
North Jakarta 14450
Website: Green Bay Pluit
Phone number: +62 (0) 21 662 1888
I do my best to write honest and detailed reviews of the apartments I visit. If you disagree with my rating, please let me know why and leave your own rating at the end of this page.
- Connected to a mall.
- Many convenient services available: Canteens, ATMs, bank, laundry, etc.
- Decent facilities, in particular the pool, the garden, the basketball and tennis court, etc.
- Not too far from the airport.
- Crowded facilities.
- Difficult to get a parking space.
- Location between a power plant and a fish market.
- Far from the business district.
- Not many things to do in the neighborhood.
Be the first to leave a review.